The MD/CEO of the Rural Electrification Agency, Mrs. Damilola Ogunbiyi giving a speech on the #EnergizingEconomiesInitiative and the Federal Government’s plan to continue to power businesses and homes.
The #EnergizingEconomiesInitiative was constituted 18 months ago with a clear mandate to provide electricity through sustainable off-grid solutions to unserved communities and MSMEs.
REA developed the off-grid Electrification Strategy with 5 key elements.
- The Energizing Education Programme will provide adequate power supply to 37 federal universities and 7 university teaching hospitals across Nigeria.
- The Solar Home System Initiative is a partnership with @WorldBank and aims to provide 1.5 million Nigerian households and MSMEs with better and affordable access to electricity services via stand-alone solar home systems, provide and managed by the private sector.
- The third is the Solar minigrids Initiative which is also in partnership with the @WorldBank and aims in the first phase, to provide clean, affordable and reliable electricity to 250 off-grid communities that require less than 1MW per mini grid.
- The 4th is the Nigeria Energy Database which is an online platform that provides developers, and the public with online visualization of resources for energy development. This is a data-driven initiative and the sector’s first online database.
- The #EnergizingEconomiesInitiative is actually the 5th strategy. OT aspires to increase energy access and economic growth by assisting private sector developers to provide clean, reliable and affordable power to economic clusters.