The Alliance for Rural Electrification (ARE) is delighted to call for proposals for the ARE AWARDS 2017!
By discerning these awards, ARE wishes to highlight the energy access work done and results achieved by the most passionate and innovative stakeholders and to stimulate the exchange of knowledge.
The ARE AWARDS ceremony will take place during the evening reception of the ARE Energy Access Investment Summit in Lisbon (Portugal) on 22 March 2017. The winners will also benefit from worldwide promotion by ARE!
One of the major challenges is to achieve a well-functioning coordination amongst the diverse actors with different backgrounds as represented by the different award categories, assuming that every organisation first needs to attend to its own mission and objectives. With respect to this, ARE again will reward the most effective initiative and/or project implemented with one award per category.
The ARE AWARDS 2017 consist of 6 categories for initiatives and/or projects implemented in 2016:
- Category 1: Multilateral/International Organisations
- Category 2: NGO’s and Foundations
- Category 3: Private Sector in Developed Countries
- Category 4: Private Sector in Developing Countries
- Category 5: Government in Developing Country
- Category 6 (NEW): Best Off-Grid Project
Applicants should structure their submission so as to clearly address the selection criteria:
- Effectiveness to contribute to new energy access provided or existing energy access advanced (all categories)
- Financial Sustainability (cat. 220.127.116.11)
- Engagement with project beneficiaries / Participation of local population (all categories)
- Adequate risk management (cat. 2,3,4,6)
- Positive socio-economic impact (all categories)
- Impact on CO2 reduction (all categories)
- Innovation potential for replication and upscaling (cat. 1,2,3,4,6)
The selection process is the following:
Any institution, company or formal entity can apply for the ARE AWARDS 2017. Candidates can apply for a maximum of two categories (e.g. category 4 and 6), which should be clearly stated in the submission. If third parties were involved in the project, candidates are required to have their explicit and signed acceptation for the submission of the project for the ARE AWARDS 2017. The application for the new category 6 has to be submitted by the project leader or the majority of the partners in the case of a multi-partner project.
We would like to ask you to inform us of suitable candidates and to justify them, accordingly.
Please submit your applications for the ARE AWARDS 2017 before 15th February 2017 (22:00 CET) to Thomas Patzwaldt.
ARE AWARDS 2017 Jury
The ARE AWARDS 2017 jury will be composed of the following rural electrification experts:
- Ernesto Macias Galán, Jury Chair / ARE President, Solarwatt España
- Pradeep Monga, Deputy Executive Secretary UNCCD
- Michael Franz, Team Leader, Africa-EU Renewable Energy Cooperation Programme (RECP)
- Salvatore Vinci, Deputy Head Policy Unit, IRENA
- Arthouros Zervos, Chair of REN21
For your information, the winners of the ARE AWARDS 2016 were:
- Category 1: Phaesun (Private Sector in Developed Countries);
- Category 2: Rahimafrooz Renewable Energy (Private Sector in Developing Countries);
- Category 3: OFID (NGOs & Foundations);
- Category 4: Kenya (Government in Developing Countries) and
- Category 5: European Commission DG DEVCO (Multilateral & International Organisations).
ARE Awards Secretariat:
Thanks to the kind support of the Hochschule für angewandte Wissenschaften Neu-Ulm, ARE is able to make the ARE Awards 2017 happen. In case of questions please consult with Thomas Patzwaldt.
ARE Sponsorship & Marketing Offer:
Highlight your important role in the rural electrification sector by sponsoring the ARE Awards 2017. ARE offers different and customisable sponsorship options according to your wishes. Contact Ling Ng to get a quote: Sponsorship Brochure