As a member of the New Product Development Team, you will be a key stakeholder in developing Sun King’s future products and services. Reporting to the Global Product Manager, you will work at the intersection of business, technology, and customer experience teams to ideate, develop, pilot, and launch new life-changing products across Sub-Saharan Africa.
About the role:
This role is an exciting career opportunity for a value-motivated innovator with a combination of technical and organizational skills who is passionate about working with off-grid consumers and delivering the next generation of Sun King products. The products and services you will build will have a transformative impact for millions of households.
What you would be expected to do
- Generate, refine and consolidate new product ideas, market research and customer requirements, drawing from relationships across the company, including R&D, sales, marketing, and operations teams.
- Develop customer survey templates, collect feedback, and present to internal stakeholders
- Evaluate current offerings from industry peers, seeking opportunities for differentiation.
- Translate product strategy into detailed requirements for prototype construction.
- Test prototypes and potential new products to validate its commercial viability. Specify product requirements and feedback for R&D.
- Act as the Project Manager to deploy successful pilots, defining the purpose, major deliverables, KPIs, timelines, risks, and roles of internal stakeholders.
- Track and document key pilot project deliverables, including customer engagement, usage habits, product availability, and the weekly number of generated prospects.
- Coordinate with internal and external stakeholders to ensure deliverables (selecting pilot areas, inventory readiness, training, etc.) are met on time.
- Carry out Engineering Validation Testing (focusing on the features) and Technical Validation Testing (focusing on integration) and generate a Product Requirements Document (PRD)
- Collect Customer Feedback on the product performance and expectations and present to internal stakeholders.
- Report the progress and results of the pilot through a comprehensive memo or a presentation. Provide insights on lessons learned, recommendations for a successful GTM approach, product design or process changes, if needed.
- Oversee a successful transition from the pilot stage to commercial scale.
- Clearly convey the product vision. Translate technical specifications, benefits, differentiation against rivals, and its fit with Sun King to a language customers can appreciate.
- Work with various departments to design a sales and service process for new products and the route to market.
- Assist in the Training and Marketing Teams by reviewing training materials, spec sheets, packaging, and highlighting the Customer Value Proposition (CVP)
- Assist in the development of service requirements for new products, working closely with the After-Sales and Call Center teams to ensure customer service is prepared prior to the product launch.
- Work with the R&D Team to define and implement product iterations and cascade the changes to respective stakeholders.
You might be a strong candidate if you
- Have a Bachelors Degree in product design, engineering, energy systems, the physical sciences, or a related field. Experience in Solar Refrigeration will be an advantage.
- Have minimum 4 years experience as technical Product Manager preferably in the solar industry
- Have an entrepreneurial spirit and with the ability to work well on your own, ability to figure things out with innovative thinking, problem-solving skills, and presence of mind.
- Are curious to ideate and expand product offerings in segments complimentary to solar energy, such as clean mobility solutions.
- Have the ability to collect and synthesize user feedback for actionable items.
- Have critical thinking skills: Strong ability to structure problems and drive towards solutions even in ambiguous situations
- Have financial knowledge to quantify economic value propositions and commercial opportunities of new product offerings.
- Have experience in spearheading the expansion of new product lines or segments
- Can execute and manage projects effectively.
- Are Open to travel within the region and possibly to other Sun King markets
- Display excellent communication skills, energy, and the ability to handle obstacles at a rapidly growing organization. You can communicate product choices through the lens of multiple stakeholders.
What We Offer
- A platform for professional growth in a rapidly expanding, high-impact sector.
- Immerse in a collaborative culture, energized by Sun King’s employees who are collectively motivated by fostering a transformative, sustainable venture.
- A genuinely global environment: Engage and learn alongside a diverse group from varied geographies and backgrounds.
- Tailored learning pathways through the Sun King Academy to elevate your leadership and managerial capabilities.