Research Triangle Institute (RTI) has over 30 years’ experience assisting governments, communities, and the private sector. As a not-for-profit, independent research institute based in North Carolina, USA, RTI has roughly 6,000 employees with global experience implementing international development projects. RTI’s Sustainable Growth & Resilience (SG&R) technical unit within the International Development Group brings together RTI experts and capabilities across food security, agriculture, energy, environment, water, governance, and economic opportunity. SG&R will leverage RTI’s experience designing and delivering multisectoral programming and technical solutions to respond to climate change, build resilience, and promote economic growth around the world.
The USAID funded Power Africa Empowering East and Central Africa (EECA) activity will increase the availability of and access to affordable, reliable, sustainable, and clean energy in East and Central Africa with a focus on ending energy poverty, accelerating a carbon free future, and bolstering energy sector investment and innovation. EECA will support the accelerated connection of more East and Central African homes, businesses, and institutions to reliable electricity and increase its productive use; reduce greenhouse gas emissions from the energy sector by supporting cleaner electricity generation and just energy transitions; and increase energy sector investment, working in partnership with East and Central African governments to improve the enabling environment for the energy sector.
The Tanzania Lead Off-Grid Advisor will be based in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania and will work with Tanzanian government institutions, energy sector entities, donor community, and private sector to advance energy outcomes. This position will oversee and manage all activities for the program in Tanzania. The Tanzania Country Off-Grid Advisor is expected to provide energy sector technical support and serve as lead off-grid advisor and champion for project activities being led by other divisions of our project team for off-grid energy activities. They will support the provision of business-focused technical assistance to off-grid companies, the position will support companies to develop and implement their business models to increase their numbers of new electrification connections and generation from off-grid energy systems, in particular solar home systems (SHS) and micro-grids.
- Lead all off-grid activities in-country, including conducting management of market assessments, identification of highest impact opportunities, contributing to annual work plans, implementing approved off-grid activities, such as:
- Distribution, retail, and marketing-focused technical assistance to solar home system (SHS) companies, including assessing potential demand and identifying potential partners for companies to reach these customers.
- Business-focused technical assistance to solar home system (SHS) and mini-grid off-grid energy companies to help them develop and implement their business models, financial planning, access to finance, and distribution and retail strategies, and link them with relevant investors with suitable terms, including loan periods, interest rates and required collateral levels, and, if required, the provision of Technical Assistance to FIs to reduce their risk and increase their willingness to lend with suitable terms.
- Support to off-grid energy companies to develop their mobile payment strategies.
- Support changes to energy sector planning that brings actual decision-making into alignment with the recently updated and approved plans and strategies.
- Support country communities and human service entities to participate in the energy sector decision-making process.
- Support the government in Tanzania advance private sector engagement in the off-grid energy sector.
- Maintain a robust and up-to-date understanding of the off-grid market dynamics in throughout the program. These market intelligence insights should be shared with key off-grid players in Tanzania.
- Provide support to government agencies in developing an enabling environment that supports the growth of private sector in the off-grid space.
- Provide other transaction advisory services as required, including the following:
- Identify new potential high-impact energy companies for support, determining financial viability of business plans and potential for USG assistance.
- Identify critical issues and problems for design and execution and assist in accelerating closure for off-grid energy companies, providing independent advice to government decision makers as needed to move closer to project milestones.
- Identify domestic and external financing sources and develop and maintain a database of available financing sources for off-grid energy companies, including investors, institutional investors, commercial banks and international finance institutions.
- Identify private sector stakeholders, including off-grid energy companies, distributors and others in the country and facilitate matchmaking between stakeholders.
- Maintain and update a database of off-grid energy company transactions and provides updates on transactions to Power Africa.
- Coordinate provision of technical assistance to off-grid energy companies with other donors to avoid duplication of efforts.
- Identify areas of support required by private sector that can be provided by Power Africa.
- Engage with USAID/Tanzania on country-specific requests and strategy, contingent on EECA senior management team approval.
- Complete weekly and routine reporting requirements for EECA working with technical and cross-cutting team members effectively.
Required Minimum Qualification and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree and 10 years of experience, master’s degree and 8 years of experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience implementing off-grid activities in Africa including conducting market assessments, identification of highest impact opportunities, contributing to annual work plans, implementing approved activities.
- Experience providing support to government agencies in developing an enabling environment that supports the growth of private sector in the off-grid space.
- Extensive network in off-grid power sector including public and private parties and the development community active. Particularly within the SHS market.
- A minimum of five (5) years of experience implementing off-grid energy programs.
- Ability to work in a team-of-teams environment that collaborates across multiple technical, cross-cutting, and leadership offices at a regional level.
- Good writing and communication skills in English
- Must be a Tanzanian citizen or have ability to work in Tanzania