Full–time, permanent position | Head office team
Base location: Remote work (international)
Ideal Start Date: 1 September 2022
Oorja (www.oorjasolutions.org) is an award–winning social enterprise based in New Delhi. We are on a mission to empower 10 million farmers globally by 2030 with the agricultural solutions they need to sustainably increase their income and quality of life.
Oorja is a Farming–as–a–Service company working at the intersection of sustainable agriculture and renewable energy. Our focus is on powering beneficial appliances that help users to generate stable incomes, create jobs, and mitigate carbon emissions. Despite urgent need, around 90% of marginal farmers cannot afford to invest in solar technology for their farms. Oorja wants to close this gap. We finance decentralised solar energy systems for community use. Oorja sells irrigation, milling and cooling as affordable services on a pay–per–use basis to smallholder farmers, without any upfront cost to them. We operate in rural areas of northern India where farmers are currently reliant on polluting and expensive diesel motors for their energy needs.
Our core strengths are our inclusive, farmer–centric business model and a diverse and driven team with shared passion for sustainable development.
In addition to its physical farming services, which are already benefiting 12,000+ farmers in northern India, Oorja plans to launch a new vertical of digital farming services. Leveraging our rural networks among growers, we will provide paid precision farming advisory, input procurement and alerts to individual smallholder farmers across India and the Global South. The user–centered design research, feature development, wireframes and an early visual design are complete. We are planning to launch a farmer–friendly mobile app to build the beta prototype and test it among first adopters by early 2023. We are looking for an organized, detail–oriented individual to join our team as a Software Project Manager. Your role will be to manage the planning, scheduling, budgeting, execution and delivery of the backend and frontend mobile application and ensure a successful launch of the mobile app.
Roles and Responsibilities
For this position, you will be expected to serve a key role in the head office team. Your responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Document the MVP specifications, architecture and development process
- Define the backend architecture and options for data warehousing, connections to third–party data sources and ML algorithms (AWS, Microsoft Azure, Google, Oracle) and how it will scale from thousands to millions of users
- Determine the requirements and research the data sources for agricultural advisory, input marketplace / e–commerce platform, weather and pest alerts, including integration with third– party apps and APIs
- Identify and reach out to partners for data sourcing and integrations
- Source quotations from software development agencies and/or existing app developers as partners to develop the MVP of the smartphone app
- Review the labour requirements and teaming structure and decide upon the development partner
- Manage the project internally and act as the interface between the Oorja senior management and third–party developers and other partners
- Ensure adherence to milestones, change requests and delivery commitments by the delivery partner
- Create a project budget and ensuring the project adheres to the budget as closely as possible
- Determine and oversee consistent testing, evaluation and troubleshooting in all stages of completion
- Interface with the ground testing team for validation and verification testing
Qualifications & Skills
- 2+ years of experience in leading a team as part of project/engineering management
- Bachelor’s degree in IT, software development management, software engineering, computer science, or a related field
- Strong technical communication skills
- Leadership, decision–making and organisation skills
- Solid understanding of system design and scalable software architecture
- Strong fundamentals of Computer Science, with experience in one of the programming languages (not limited to Python or C++)
- Experience working with RESTful API and web services
- Previous experience in web/mobile app development with strong understanding of life cycle of app development along with experience in cloud solutions
- Creative and efficient problem solver
- Strong attention to detail
What We Offer
- A highly enthusiastic, self–driven international team
- A melting pot of diverse talents – development professionals, researchers, engineers, farmers, scientists and community mobilisers
- Competitive remuneration package
- Comprehensive health and accident insurance
- Interesting field of work where you will build your understanding of solar technology and the development sector
- Close mentorship for career development
- A flat and open work culture and friendly work environment
- Experience and responsibility at an award–winning company in the renewable energy and agritech industries, among of the fastest growing segments of the global economy
- The chance to make a difference and to help improve people’s lives.
How to Apply
If this opportunity appeals to you, please send your application by filling the online application form here – www.oorjasolutions.org/apply–now.
Equal Opportunities and Non–Discrimination Statement
Oorja Development Solutions India Private Limited is an equal opportunity employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to religion, race, caste, gender, place of birth, sexual orientation, marital status or disability status. Oorja endeavours to provide a safe, diverse and comfortable workplace. Oorja will not adversely discriminate, and prohibits other adverse discrimination at the workplace, against any person on its premises, whether that person is in its employment or otherwise. If you can contribute to our organisation, you are welcome, regardless of your roots, religion, age or gender.