About the job
- The ideal candidate for the Research Data Intern position at the Africa Minigrids Developers Association (AMDA) is a highly motivated and organized individual with a strong interest in data analysis, research, standards development and implementation.
- They should have a basic understanding of research methodology, statistical software, technical standards and regulations as well as excellent written and verbal communication skills.
What You Will Make Happen
- Research: The intern will conduct research on the latest trends and developments in minigrid standards, as well as on existing standards and regulations that are relevant to the sector. This research will be used to inform AMDA’s work on standards development and implementation.
- Data collection: The intern will help to develop data collection plans for new AMDA research projects, or assist with collecting data from existing sources, such as government reports, industry surveys, and academic research.
- Data cleaning and preparation: The intern will clean and prepare data for analysis, which could involve removing errors, inconsistencies, and outliers. The intern might also need to convert data into a format that is compatible with the statistical software used by AMDA researchers.
- Data analysis: The intern will help with statistical analysis of data, using software such as R or Python. This could involve running regressions, creating descriptive statistics, or building machine learning models.
- Data visualization: The intern will create data visualizations to communicate the findings of AMDA research. This could involve creating charts, graphs, or maps.
- Report writing: The intern will help to write reports on the findings of AMDA research, or develop presentations to share research findings with a variety of audiences.
- Development: The intern will help to develop and review standards documents. This could involve drafting new standards, updating existing standards, or providing feedback on standards that are being developed by other organizations.
- Maintenance: The intern will help to develop and maintain AMDA’s library of minigrid standards and regulations. This library is used by a variety of stakeholders, including minigrid developers, government agencies, and international organizations.
What You Already Have
- Enrolled or has just completed a bachelor’s or master’s program in statistics, data science, economics, or a related field.
- Basic understanding of research methodology, statistical software (e.g., R or Python), technical standards and regulations.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to learn quickly and work independently.
- Interest in the minigrid sector and energy access in Africa.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field.
- 0-2 years of experience of work experience in a corporate environment.
- Excellent speaking, writing and presentation skills (English language).
- Intellectual curiosity and dexterity.
- Ability to work independently, proactively with a “will-do” attitude.
- Time management, organizational and planning skills.
- Analytical and research skills.
- Proficiency with the Microsoft Office Suites (Word, PowerPoint, and Excel) is required.
What Would Give You Added Advantage
- Bi- or multi-lingual proficiency
Why Work With Us
- Opportunity to learn from experienced data analysts and researchers.
- Hands-on experience in collecting, cleaning, analyzing, and communicating data.
- Chance to make a real difference in the lives of millions of people in Africa.
- AMDA is an international industry association supporting companies who are the front lines of expanding electricity access.
- AMDA is an international, growing team.
- AMDA works with decision makers across Africa, large corporations, development partners, and researchers to ensure that we achieve universal electricity access faster.
- Be part of an organization that is changing Africa’s future for the better.