Base Location: 100% remote work (India based)
Reporting Line: Senior Management
Earliest Start Date: 1 February 2022
Oorja is an award-winning social enterprise based in New Delhi, tackling some of the most pressing challenges in the off-grid energy sector today: renewable energy expansion and energy poverty.
Oorja’s focus is on powering beneficial appliances that help users to generate stable incomes, create jobs, and mitigate carbon emissions. Despite urgent need, around 90% of marginal farmers cannot afford to invest in solar technology for their farms. Oorja wants to close this gap. We install, operate and maintain decentralised solar energy systems for community use and sell irrigation, milling and refrigeration as affordable services on a pay-per-use basis to marginal farmers, without any upfront cost to them. We operate in rural areas of northern India where farmers are currently reliant on polluting and expensive diesel motors for their energy needs.
Our core strengths are our inclusive, customer-centred business model and a diverse and driven team with shared passion for sustainable development. We are determined to scale up access to essential services among marginalised communities.
Oorja is seeking a Project Manager with 5 – 10 years’ experience in the social sector. The Project Manager will be responsible for fostering and maintaining partnerships, grant fundraising, and impact management. You will also lead research, strategy development and implementation for new services and offerings including market linkages and regional and international expansion. This role will also entail managing organisational communications and donor and investor reporting. The ideal candidate brings experience managing relationships with different stakeholders, impeccable written English proficiency and strong organisational skills. You should have a proven track record of achievement of targets with strict deadlines in a similar role. You should also be comfortable working in a mission-driven start-up environment, be adept at multitasking and able to communicate effectively at all levels of the organisation.
We strongly encourage women candidates to apply for this position.
- Lead grant fundraising efforts: application and proposal writing, preparing and presenting
- Partnership building and relationship management (funders, investors, corporate entities, local/grassroots NGOs, FPCs, etc.)
- Oversee quantitative and qualitative impact management and measurement efforts based on M&E framework
- Strategy development and implementation of market linkage and agri-business value chain for farmers’ produce
- Research and identification of opportunities and partners for expansion into new geographies and markets
- Strategy development and implementation of new farmer services (inputs, training, advisory, finance, etc.)
- Oversee corporate communications and grant funder and investor reporting
Roles and Responsibilities
The Project Manager’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Grant fundraising: drafting, reviewing and submitting applications or proposals for fundraising from foundations, DFIs, business competitions and other donors; preparing and presenting proposals to grant funders and donors; conducting preliminary calls and liaising with them throughout the engagement
- Partnership development and relationship management with (1) funders, investors and corporate entities, and (2) local/grassroots partnerships (farmer associations, cooperatives, FPCs, FPOs, NGOs, buyers, retailers, etc.) in current and new geographies within India, including eastern Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Odisha, Jharkhand and Chhattisgarh
- Assess and select new partner organisations; negotiate roles and finalise MoUs; liaise with existing partners; develop and implement new collaborative projects; translate insights gained from partner meetings into recommendations and plans
- Impact management and measurement: implementation of the M&E framework; supervision of collection of baseline and periodic impact data using standardised surveys; oversee data collection, cleaning, storage and management; data analysis and visualisation in Excel, Tableau, or other suitable format; calculation and presentation of key impact metrics and SROI
- Report writing for internal and external audiences: project reports; performance and impact reports; annual reports; reporting to investors and donors in designated format
- Oversee development of training and capacity building modules to strengthen farmers’ agricultural livelihoods in conjunction with energy services being delivered by Oorja (crop and input selection, cultivation practices for field and horticultural crops, intercropping, multicropping, yield enhancement, plant and soil health, pest and disease control, effective irrigation, post-harvest storage and processing, agronomy, sustainable agricultural practices, agricultural innovations, etc.)
- Oversee the implementation of farmer training and capacity building programs (and eventually advisory services): review video and print material, oversee the organisation and delivery of participatory workshops, review monthly training reports sent by field staff to track farmers’ reached and trained and link this to the services provided
- Lead corporate communications to raise the organisation’s profile among different circles and attract the attention of potential funders and collaborators: monthly newsletters, blogs, contributions to publications, media and conferences
- Conduct desk research and establish partnerships for expansion into new geographies and markets: identify, analyse and select target geographies in South/Southeast Asia and sub-Saharan Africa; identify potential collaborators; research and develop market entry strategy; oversee the seamless execution and monitoring of pilot projects
- Research, strategy development and overseeing the implementation of new service offerings for farmers including advisory services, quality inputs (seeds, fertilisers, pesticides, herbicides, etc.), small farm equipment rental, etc.
- Lead the programmatic design and support with implementation of gender mainstreaming strategies to increase the representation of women along Oorja’s entire value chain, including as customers, operators, payment collectors, employees, etc., in collaboration with technical assistance providers
- Support with strategy development in other areas of the business, including launch of new agricultural energy services, advisory services, rental services, mobile app development, product sales, etc.
- 5 – 10 years’ relevant work experience, with a strong interest in agriculture, livelihoods and energy issues
- Post-graduate degree in a relevant discipline
- Experience managing partnerships including funders; working with an agribusiness, farmer collectives or a clean energy company would be a plus
- Successful track record in raising funding and writing fundraising applications and proposals; having an established network with relevant investors and donors will be a major advantage
Competencies and Abilities
- Expertise in impact monitoring and evaluation methodologies, tools and software
- Superior organisational and time management skills and attention to detail
- Impeccable written English and excellent communication abilities, both verbal and written
- Self-motivated and ability to work independently to meet deadlines and adhere to quality standards
- Cultivate an independent understanding of issues including social/economic development, agriculture, water and energy, with a focus on rural India
- High degree of computer literacy with command of MS Office; knowledge of graphic design software or platforms (Adobe Creative Suite, Canva, Prezi or equivalent) will be an advantage
- Able to work within a multidisciplinary, international team with sensitivity and respect for diversity
- Strong team spirit and commitment to the environmental and social mission which drives Oorja
- Ability and willingness to travel to rural areas of India for fieldwork (<10%)
- Exciting high-impact assignments
- A collegial and creative work environment
- Attractive wages
- You will join a dynamic and passionate team of professionals
- Opportunity to thrive and grow within flat hierarchies in pursuit of an inspiring mission.
How to Apply
If this exciting opportunity appeals to you, please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or fill the brief online application form here: www.oorjasolutions.org/apply-now.
Oorja conducts a 3-stage evaluation process. First, a short preliminary interview (45 min) about your background, experience and motivation. Second, a longer interview (2-3 hours) is arranged including assignments to further assess your skills and adequacy for the role, interactions with the team and fit within the organisational culture. Third, a final interview (30 min) with Oorja’s external advisors to assess your long-term aspirations and alignment of your learning and growth objectives with the company’s mission and goals. Successful candidates in each stage will be notified by email.
Equal Opportunities and Non-Discrimination Statement
Oorja Development Solutions India Private Limited is an equal opportunity employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to religion, race, caste, gender, place of birth, sexual orientation, marital status or disability status. Oorja endeavours to provide a safe, diverse and comfortable workplace. Oorja will not adversely discriminate, and prohibits other adverse discrimination at the workplace, against any person on its premises, whether that person is in its employment or otherwise. If you can contribute to our organisation, you are welcome, regardless of your roots, religion, age or gender.