Research Triangle Institute (RTI) has over 30 years’ experience assisting governments, communities, and the private sector. As a not-for-profit, independent research institute based in North Carolina, USA, RTI has roughly 6,000 employees with global experience implementing international development projects. RTI’s Sustainable Growth & Resilience (SG&R) technical unit within the International Development Group brings together RTI experts and capabilities across food security, agriculture, energy, environment, water, governance, and economic opportunity. SG&R will leverage RTI’s experience designing and delivering multisectoral programming and technical solutions to respond to climate change, build resilience, and promote economic growth around the world.
SG&R’s Energy Division is working to develop and implement low emission energy technology alternatives, raise private financing for energy infrastructure, bring efficiency to utilities, work with governments on legal and regulatory reforms to alleviate bottlenecks in energy generation and consumption, and increase access to green energy to sustain economic growth and reduce poverty. We serve as a chosen partner for USAID’s Power Africa program in sub-Sahara Africa and have an established international energy portfolio of over $300 million across Africa, Asia, Pacific Islands, and Latin America and the Caribbean.
The purpose of the Empower West Africa (EWA) activity is to increase the availability of and access to affordable, reliable, sustainable, and clean energy in West Africa in order to reach measurable economic growth, development outcomes, such as reducing poverty, improving livelihoods and increasing inclusive access to electricity-enabled services in such areas as health, education, sanitation, and food security. The activity will additionally support Just Energy Transition; improve the reliability of power supply; reduce greenhouse gas emissions from the energy sector by supporting cleaner electricity generation delivered by the national power grids; accelerate distributed renewable energy (DRE); support the transition of host governments’ resource planning leading to the adoption and further integration of renewable energy sources and solutions to meet climate action commitments; crowd in new technologies and innovations that scale access and impact; and increase access to private capital investment including improved uptake of climate funds, while working in partnership with governments to improve the enabling environment for energy sector investment and innovation. The EWA activity anticipates supporting the West Africa region in Benin, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Côte d’Ivoire, Equatorial Guinea, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Sao Tome & Principe, Senegal, Sierra Leone and Togo.
RTI is seeking an Off-Grid Energy Expert for the anticipated Empower West Africa (EWA) activity. The Off-Grid Energy Expert will be responsible for supporting the Chief of Party (COP) and Senior Technical Lead in providing technical direction and leadership of the project ensuring that project activities meet USAID and other stakeholders’ expectations.
This position will be based within one of the above countries of focus, based on project needs. Frequent travel throughout West Africa is anticipated in support of off-grid activities. This position will report to the Chief of Party.
Position is contingent upon award and funding.
- Designs and leads planning and delivery of off-grid activities including management of staff, STTA advisors, and subcontractors.
- Creates and sustains effective, professional relations with and among management, relevant government representatives, donors, private sector entities, and other key public and private stakeholders to leverage resources and warrant coordination.
- Provides advisory support to strengthen the operational and management efficiencies of EWA including, but not limited to business planning, process improvement, cost recovery, customer service, utility personnel management and capacity building.
- Leads loss reduction efforts by establishing energy accounting processes, optimizing monthly commercial cycle, support revenue protection department, reducing commercial losses, and managing/reporting outages.
- Responsible for supporting policy, legal and regulatory frameworks to provide enabling conditions for private sector participation and investment in off-grid segments.
- Serve as the technical off-grid expert for the EWA activity and lead requisite work planning and technical deliverables.
- Identify opportunities and challenges for accelerating deployment of off-grid technologies and financial instruments in the West African energy sectors.
- Conduct investment analysis and develop financial models to accelerate deployment of advanced off-grid technologies.
- Conduct trainings and capacity development workshops for developers, policy makers, government counterparts, and regulators.
- Bachelor’s degree and 15 years of experience, or Master’s degree and 12 years of experience.
- Demonstrated experience working effectively within a government energy sector; experience with energy sectors in West Africa strongly preferred. Prior USG or other donor program implementation and coordination desirable.
- Demonstrated understanding of commercial, technical, operational and regulatory aspects of off-grid segments, including access to finance, procurement, donor coordination, technical development and integration.
- Experience with smart grid and smart metering systems.
- Candidates should possess a mix of strong management, administrative, technical experience and communication skills.
- Proficiency in English is required. Proficiency in or strong working knowledge of French is highly preferred.
- Ability to work and travel throughout West Africa.
As a global employer of choice, RTI is committed to equity, diversity, inclusion and belonging in the workplace and the communities and markets where we serve our mission. We value diversity of thought, culture, background and perspective and welcome applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, creed, citizenship status, disability, protected veteran status, or any other classification protected by applicable discrimination laws or RTI policy.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Further information is available here.