- The African Development Bank (the Bank) invites eligible consultants to indicate their Interest in providing services under the Sustainable Energy Fund for Africa’s (SEFA) Africa Mini-Grid Acceleration Programme (AMAP) to support the Bank and its clients as an Individual Consultant within MINEA (Ministry of Energy and Water) for capacity development for rural electrification in Angola.
- SEFA is a multi-donor Special Fund managed by the Bank, with the mandate of unlocking private sector investments through technical assistance and concessional investments along three themes, namely Green Baseload (GBL), Green Mini-Grids (GMG) and Energy Efficiency (EE). The Fund’s overarching goal is to contribute to universal access to affordable, reliable, sustainable, and modern energy services for all in Africa, in line with the Bank’s New Deal on Energy for Africa and Sustainable Development Goal 7. SEFA is housed in the Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency Department (PERN) under the Power, Energy, Climate, and Green Growth (PEVP) Complex.
- AMAP is a pan-African technical assistance (TA) initiative to expand private-sector mini-grid financing on the African Continent implemented by the Bank and funded by SEFA.
- Within PERN and under supervision of the Manager of PERN.3, the Individual Consultant will report to the SEFA/AMAP Program Manager.
- The overall objective of the Individual Consultant is to support the development and effective implementation of a mini-grid market development program in Angola, namely by (i) acting as a mini-grid development expert and focal point for the Government; (ii) supporting the Government in its interactions and decision making; and (iii) ensuring coordination of the key institutional players in the sector by assisting in the establishment of a Steering Committee (public-sector members) and stakeholder working groups (public and private-sector members). The Individual Consultant will be embedded within MINEA, where s/he will establish a network of contacts and interlocutors within the Ministry and other relevant government institutions, and to this end must be available to work full-time in Angola over the duration of the assignment.
After identifying relevant institutions and individuals on the public side, s/he will raise awareness of the PPP instrument (theory and case studies) and the relevance of its application to mini-grids. S/he will prepare position papers for decision-making at the level of public bodies regarding the structuring of a mini-grid market in Angola, also introduce basics of financial modeling for minigrid project development and assist in the review and use of these financial models. S/he will also raise awareness of tendering processes, introduce concepts for preparing tender documents and project contracts to the contracting authority at MINEA, and assist public agencies in making decisions regarding the structuring and execution of tendering processes.
- Interested Consultants shall provide information on their qualifications and experience
demonstrating their ability to undertake this assignment (documents, reference to similar
services, CVs, experience in similar assignments, etc.).
- Eligibility criteria, establishment of a short list and the selection procedure shall be in conformity with the Bank’s Rules and Procedures for the Use of Consultants. Please note that interest expressed by a Consultant does not imply any obligation on the part of the Bank to include her/him in the shortlist.
- The duration of services is 12 months. The estimated starting date is March 2023.
- For the EoI to be considered, the consultant needs to be registered in the AfDB DACON
- Only nationals of countries that are member countries of the Bank are eligible to applying for employment with the Bank and its bodies:
- Fluency in Portuguese and English is a prerequisite for being shortlisted.
- Expressions of Interest must be received at the address below no later than 1 February 2023 at 6 pm Abidjan time under reference “AMAP Individual Consultant MINEA Angola – Your Name.”Mr. João Duarte Cunha,
Division Manager – Renewable Energy Initiatives / SEFA Manager
Email: B.Curnier@afdb.org; G.Lima@afdb.org; T.Micholitsch@afdb.org.
A shortlist of three to six individual consultants will be established after the above-indicated Request for Expressions of Interest submission deadline. The consultants on the shortlist will be evaluated along the following criteria:
Level of education (Masters or above in a suitable field for mission) 25%
Level of experience relevant to the mission 40%
Experience with international organisations 10%
Experience in region (Angola) 10%
Language proficiency (Portuguese and English) 15%