Job Location: Nairobi or Remote
Reporting to: Chief Strategy Officer
Direct Reports: TBD
The Head of New Market Expansion will be responsible for prioritizing countries for expansion of d.light’s pay-as-you-go (PayGo) business based on factors like: size of off-grid population, willingness and ability to pay, and ease of doing
business in the country. Once the next priority markets have been established, the Head of New Market Expansion will be responsible for setting up the business in each new market. This includes everything from registering the entity and setting up bank accounts to hiring the go-forward team that will take over management of the business after the 6-month setup period. This role is ideal for someone with prior experience with a PayGo business to work in an exciting, fast-paced, and dynamic role that will directly contribute towards millions of people gaining first-time access to electricity and other transformational products.
- Prioritize expansion markets for d.light’s PayGo business
- Set up operations in each new country d.light enters including: register entity, setup bank accounts, secure duty waivers if applicable, work with IT team to setup IT infrastructure for PayGo, establish call center, etc.
- Establish go-to-market strategy in each new country including: product range, pricing, product positioning, route-to-market, sequencing of regions, and initial inventory stocking
- Hire the go-forward management team for each new country d.light enters with support from global HR
Desired Skills and Expertise
- 3+ years of experience with a PayGo solar business, preferably in Africa.
- 2+ years of experience leading cross-functional teams or managing direct reports.
- 2+ years of project management experience
- Entrepreneurial self-starter capable of navigating ambiguity and working independently.
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication in English with French and Portuguese a plus
- Superior proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Preferably located in Nairobi, Kenya or willing to relocate
d.light is a global leader in delivering affordable, solar-powered solutions to people in the developing world who lack access to reliable energy. In the last 15 years, d.light products have transformed more than 140 million lives across 70 countries. We envision a brighter future where all people are empowered to enjoy the quality of life that comes with access to affordable and sustainable products. d.light’s core business is providing distributed solar energy products to households and small businesses on a pay-as-you-go basis, transforming the way people use and pay for energy.
Interested candidates should submit their cover letter and resume to email@example.com.