- Execute and deliver on set targets including portfolio management and sales;
- Establish standard operating procedures in collaboration with specialist process-oriented roles and embed routines on communication and execution across the field teams;
- Plan and set timelines for different activities and deliverables across all field teams; track the implementation of those cross-functional activities including sales process changes, data and IT changes or recruitment and staff training.
- Enhance buy-in for changes, selling the value of changes and ensuring compliance with changes across their teams;
- Scope of new office locations and coordinating access to infrastructure;
- Drive company culture by constantly communicating our vision and values, further enhancing buy-in into our unique approach to sales and rural development;
- Ensure cross-functional collaboration with different teams i.e. data/research teams, HR, admin, risk and compliance, business processes etc.
- Drive performance and productivity across the field and logistics teams to ensure delivery of revenue (you will be responsible and accountable for a team of 3 managers reporting directly to you).
Who we are looking for
- You got at least 8 years of relevant progressive experiences with at least 4 years leading large teams in a business.
- At least 2 years of relevant experience working in rural areas of East Africa.
- You work systematically and can establish rhythms and routines across our field operations. You wouldn’t go amiss in a NASA mission control centre to coordinate diverse teams with precise communication and clear protocols. Execution trumps creativity. You are highly adaptable and operate comfortably in ambiguous situations.
- Project management skills to deliver on a broad set of targets through clear systems and routines. You are good at getting things done and follow up of varying tasks and activities across parallel tracks and deliverables. With field operations spanning sales, credit and logistics aspects, you ensure no issue is left unresolved. You are good at documentation and detail-oriented to store and update organisational memory.
- You have a good track record of coaching and developing individuals from diverse backgrounds to reach difficult goals. As a leader you inspire 80+ staff reporting to you indirectly, but critically you don’t shy away from holding difficult conversations. You are a team player who leads by example and excels at listening, and building trust and long-lasting relationships with clients and within teams.
- You can co-ordinate change management through very cross-cultural and cross-functional team beyond your direct control. You are excellent at ensuring seamless operations and communication with other teams. You are not afraid to speak up and speak the truth particularly with regards to channelling feedback upwards and of course, you demonstrate high levels of integrity.
- You are passionate about rural development and making a difference for the less well-off. You possess deep knowledge about rural communities, their culture and their decision making. You are willing to roll up your sleeves, literally get rained on in the field and help out wherever needed to solve arising problems and harness business opportunities. Willingness to travel across the company’s areas of operations to easily engage with staff and clients.
The role entails regular travel across the branches and regions, starting off at around 50%.
Our culture – We are the right organisation for you if…
- You believe in the potential of rural communities to improve their family’s lives and are eager to ensure everyone has an equal part in Kenya’s development. We put the client at the centre of all our decisions and actions.
- You enjoy the thrill of start-up life, where we fail and learn from it, where things change fast, and every day brings new challenges. We are a small team working tirelessly to achieve something that has not been done before.
- You are excited about working in a multi-cultural environment, where we have open communication channels, are transparent about challenges and mistakes, learn from each other and respect and leverage our diversity to make the business work.
- You want your ideas to be heard and participate in business strategy: Our team is collaborative and supportive. We listen to insights from the field, because we know that otherwise we can’t succeed.
Apply for the job
Do you want to join our team as our new Head of Field Operations? Then we’d love to hear about you!