Who we are and what we do
Catalyst Off-Grid Advisors is a strategy consulting firm focused exclusively on tackling the global energy access deficit. Many of our team members come from the industry itself, enabling us to offer an insider’s perspective to our clients and partners. We collaborate with a range of actors, including enterprises, investors, international organizations, development partners, and philanthropic organizations.
A highly sought-after firm, our clients and partners include The Rockefeller Foundation, Sustainable Energy for All, Shell Foundation, Facebook, GOGLA, the UK Government’s Commonwealth Development Corporation, The World Bank Group, USAID, Norfund, and others. Here’s just some of our recent work and innovations:
- VentureBuilder – an innovative financing vehicle that helps scale African-owned and managed
off-grid energy companies. We provide equity in the form of cash investments and in Enterprise
Development Services delivered by our team for financing and support.
- Access Insights Platform (AIP) – an interactive, open-source data visualization and aggregation
platform. Recently launched for Uganda and Kenya, we will soon be adding Sierra Leone and
- Unlocking Climate Finance to Accelerate Energy Access in Africa – first of its kind research
outlining a $200 billion opportunity for climate-first funders to avoid 626 million tonnes CO2
while delivering universal energy access in Africa by 2030
- Sustainable Energy for All (SEforALL) – Energizing Finance: Taking the Pulse 2019
What it’s like to work with us
At Catalyst, you’ll work in a fast-paced environment with a team spanning several time zones. Our team works on several mandates concurrently, which provides an exciting opportunity to learn by doing. We offer a remote workplace culture while also valuing and respecting a work/life balance.
The Enterprise Development Services Professional will lead all aspects of EDS management and delivery for Catalyst, with a particular focus on VentureBuilder. This will include leading the design and oversight of EDS packages and the direct delivery of a portion of these services. and portfolio monitoring. This role will also support managing due diligence activities both on VentureBuilder and Catalyst clients.
- On VentureBuilder, lead operational due diligence and full analysis on investment opportunities,
- Support the drafting of investment documentation to present to the VentureBuilder Managing Director, Investment Committee, and Board of Directors;
- Lead support to strengthening client enterprises (both through VentureBuilder and other mandates), with a particular focus on core operational matters such as institutional capacity assessments and strengthening support, including strategic staffing reviews and gap analysis; corporate strategy setting and mentoring around its rollout; sales, expansion planning and market activation strategies; logistics and supply chain analysis and strengthening; technology partnerships (hardware and software),
- Structure and oversee implementation of pre- and post-investment EDS packages.
What we’re looking for
- At least 5 years of professional experience, of which at least three years should have been in energy access
- Experience in an operational role in an off-grid energy access enterprise, ideally in a senior leadership role, is required
- Experience building and/or mentoring small and medium enterprises in emerging markets
- A minimum BA/BS degree; advanced degrees preferred
- Substantive work experience in Sub-Saharan Africa required
- Prior experience in management or strategy consulting considered a plus
- Strong strategic, analytical and critical thinking skills
- A high degree of professionalism, thoughtfulness, and respect across interpersonal interactions
- Self-motivated and able to work independently with limited supervision, leading by example
- Excellent communication, presentation, negotiation skills
- Fluency in English required, skills in French strongly preferred
- Highly quantitative, with excellent analytical skills.
- Excellent proficiency with Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, Word, and Google Workspace
Remote; the Catalyst team is fully decentralized and located on four continents.
Compensation & Benefits
Commensurate with experience. This will be a contractor position, with some flexibility around expected level of effort depending on candidate availability.
How To Apply
To apply, please submit a resume and a brief cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Candidates will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Catalyst values a diverse team and strives to increase the diversity of thought, perspectives, ideas and experience in the team. As such, we are committed to equal opportunities for all. All candidates will be considered without attention to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.