Duty Station: Vienna (Austria), Washington DC (US), New York City (US), or remote (to be discussed with line manager)
Team: Mini-Grid Partnership
Line Manager: Principal Specialist, Energy Access
Grade Level: Specialist 1, overall level 4
Contract Type: Limited-Term Full-Time
Date Required: As soon as possible
Duration: One year with possibility to extend
Closing date: 22 September 2023 at 23:59 CET
Background about SEforALL
Sustainable Energy for All (SEforALL) is an international organization working with leaders in government, the private sector and civil society to drive further, faster action toward achievement of Sustainable Development Goal 7 (SDG7), which calls for universal access to sustainable energy by 2030, and the Paris Agreement, which calls for reducing greenhouse gas emissions to limit climate warming to well below 2° Celsius (and striving for 1.5° Celsius).
Achieving these goals will require a radical rethink of the way we produce, distribute and consume energy. SEforALL is at the heart of this foundational shift to ensure no one is left behind. Drawing on data and evidence, we identify a critical path to success in achieving SDG7.
The 8th UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon launched the Sustainable Energy for All initiative in 2011. Now an independent organization, we maintain close links with the UN, including through a relationship agreement, partnerships with UN agencies and with SEforALL’s CEO acting as the UN Secretary-General’s Special Representative (SRSG) for Sustainable Energy for All and Co-Chair of UN-Energy. These roles include advising the UN Secretary General and his staff on issues relating to sustainable energy and the implementation of SDG7 and supporting the coordination of sustainable energy issues in the United Nations system.
The ambitions of SDG7 are extraordinary. Aiming to achieve them in the context of the Paris Agreement on climate change involves transformation at a scale never undertaken before. Swift action must be taken by leaders in governments, private sector companies, institutions, financiers, development banks, unions, communities, entrepreneurs and civil society. As we enter the final decade to achieve SDG7, SEforALL has strategically chosen to strengthen global agenda-setting while expanding its activities to an engagement model that prioritizes data-driven decision-making, partnerships with high-impact countries and implementation on the ground. SEforALL’s current three-year business plan outlines “results offers” that scope out our planned interventions and demonstrate to our funding partners the impact of their support.
Context and Objective of Assignment
SEforALL believes distributed renewable energy (DRE) technologies are vital to countries’ efforts to achieve universal energy access by 2030. Over the past decade, breakthroughs have made these technologies (including mini-grids and solar home systems) more affordable, faster to deploy, and more impactful than ever before. These advances make DRE a compelling proposition for expanding energy access, particularly in rural and remote areas where most underserved populations live.
As part of its efforts to create a thriving DRE market, SEforALL engages in, and in some cases drives, partnership platforms to help coordinate efforts, share knowledge and advance thought leadership in the DRE and energy access space, more broadly. Doing so helps to create a more cohesive and efficient DRE sector.
One such partnership platform is the Mini-Grid Partnership (MGP). The MGP’s remit is to foster deeper collaboration and coordination amongst the mini-grid sector’s key players to accelerate the development and deployment of clean energy mini-grids in communities facing energy poverty challenges. Today, the MGP is a consortium of over 300 members across government, private sector, civil society and philanthropy, with operations co-led by SEforALL as Secretariat and by the Alliance for Rural Electrification.
Given the limited resources currently directed towards the sector, the MGP has identified the ongoing need for more effective collaboration and coordination to help address key challenges, drawing on the collective experience of its members. As Secretariat, SEforALL also provides technical input to other multistakeholder platforms that complement the objectives of the Mini-grid Partnership. Participation in these platforms ensures that the latest cross-sector learning, data and research are shared drive more effective coordination, innovation and advocacy in the clean energy sector.
In addition to the MGP, SEforALL also engages in and supports other complementary sector co-ordination and intelligence platforms and events including the Community of Champions, the Household Solar Funders Group, the End-user Subsidy Lab, the Mini-grid Action Learning Event, the recently-formed CORE initiative and the Results-Based Financing Leadership Group (among others).
Purpose/Objective of the role
SEforALL is seeking an Analyst to help advance the development of the DRE sector as well as the Mini-Grid Partnership. The position’s specific objectives are:
- Strength the Mini-Grid Partnership, supporting its strategic objectives, supporting it to be an effective platform for the sector to collectively overcome barriers to mini-grid deployment and strengthen partnerships.
- Support SEforALL’s thought leadership in the DRE space (particularly mini-grids), leveraging best-in-class approaches, case studies, data and research.
Main Duties and Tasks of the Role
The main responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Support the Secretariat of the Mini-Grid Partnership including:
- Support the development and implementation of the MGP’s next three-year strategic business plan.
- Assist in the development of the MGP’s flagship “State of the Global Mini-Grids Market” Report, including coordinating partner inputs, supporting report production and dissemination.
- Provide analytical inputs and coordination support for the thematic Working Groups.
- Work with SEforALL’s communications team to develop and disseminate communication assets for the MGP (e.g. newsletters, social media accounts, MGP Website) and regularly disseminate information to the wider membership.
- Organize in-person and virtual MGP convenings, including on the side-lines of other sectoral events.
- Help organize regular MGP Steering Committee calls including attendance tracking and documentation.
- Conduct research and analysis (qualitative and quantitative) on key issues relating to DRE and Energy Access more broadly as required.
- Assist the Head of the MGP Secretariat with support tasks including MEL, donor reporting, budgeting and operations.
- Contribute to thought-leadership within SEforALL’s wider Energy Access team, reporting out to teams the key innovations and updates in research emerging in the DRE / mini-grid space.
- Engage in knowledge sharing and thematic events representing SEforALL.
- Develop input for briefs/ talking points to support the SEforALL SRSG / CEO and the senior management team for a wide spectrum of meetings and engagements.
- Other tasks and duties as may be required.
Specific Competencies for the Role
- Master’s degree in a related field such as Economics, Business Administration, Environmental Management, Energy, Statistics or other relevant field.
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant experience in the mini-grid space.
- Proficiency in analysis, and interpretation of qualitative and quantitative data.
- Capacity to communicate diplomatically and involve other people in projects.
- Pro-active, organized, and able to multi-task.
- Good understanding of the energy access and/or distributed energy industries in Africa and/or Asia with specific knowledge of Mini-Grids and willingness to learn.
- Full proficiency in written and spoken English; proficiency in French is highly desired.
- Experience working in the Global South is considered an asset.
General Competences for the Role
- Innovation and Adaptability: Has advanced skills and commitment to search for and produce innovative and creative approaches to activities. Is flexible to evolving circumstances, as well as helps others in doing so.
- Resilience and Emotional Intelligence: Has advanced knowledge in the concepts of resilience and emotional intelligence. Is able to remain calm in challenging situations, to cope with setbacks, is responsive to the emotions of others and maintains a high level of performance.
- Analytical and Strategic Thinking: Has an advanced level of analytical and strategic thinking skills. Gathers and processes demanding information, develops sound solutions and contributes recommendations for action to line supervisor/others as appropriate.
- Collaboration and Partnership: Demonstrates advanced initiative and abilities to collaborate and form partnerships in own area of responsibility and across teams. Actively develops and maintains partnerships. Displays team-oriented attitude contributing to creating a positive team spirit.
- Lead and Empower: Demonstrates initiative and role model behaviour in leading and empowering others. Takes responsibility for own work activities and personal actions and carries out the commitments agreed upon.
- Political and diplomatic understanding: Has an advanced level of political and diplomatic understanding.
- Communicating information: Has proficient skills in communicating information and uses the skills effectively in own scope of work and in others’ work.
- Research and Analytics: Has advanced skills in research and analytics and uses the skills effectively in own scope of work.
- Project Management: Has advanced skills in project management. Plans and organises their own work using project management tools in support of achieving the team’s objectives.
- Client Orientation / Striving for Excellence: Has advanced skills in client orientation and achieving excellency in work delivery.
Our Values – please refer to our core values as defined here: https://www.seforall.org/who-we-are/staff/our-values.
Salary Information: SEforALL has adopted its own salary scales corresponding to the SEforALL grading system. The minimum yearly salary for this position is EUR 42,080. The actual salary offer will be determined within the scale depending on the successful candidate’s qualification and experience, and applying the principle of internal equity. In addition to the base salary, SEforALL staff receive a benefits package that includes contribution to pension, contribution to health insurance & homeworking allowance.
- SEforALL offers exciting high-impact assignments, a collegial and creative work environment, and the opportunity for committed professionals to thrive and grow within flat hierarchies and in the pursuit of an inspiring mission.
- SEforALL provides competitive compensation packages at its locations in Vienna, Washington DC, New York City, and Abuja, and flexibility and result orientated modern workplace arrangements.
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- SEforALL reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a level below the advertised level of the post
Your data will not be passed on to third parties outside SEforALL. We will only use your data to the extent necessary for the purposes of selecting personnel in accordance with the applicable data protection regulations.
We will only disclose your personal information if we are required to do so by a court´s or administrative authority´s decision. In such a case, we will inform you as soon as possible of such an order so that you can take legal action against it if necessary. Please email to firstname.lastname@example.org if you require updates to your information in accordance with Art. 5 lit. d of the GDPR