Full-time, 90% Remote / 10% Office, Some travel
Location: Cape Town, South Africa
Applications Due: 1 March 2023 (Reviewed on a rolling basis and early applications are strongly encouraged)
Founded in 2020, Vittoria Technology is an award-winning social enterprise dedicated to achieving progress for people and the planet through sustainable access to clean, affordable electricity. We are an international team applying technical design and creative interventions to scale renewable energy across developing markets in Africa, namely through our Battery Bank Africa (BBA) service. Optimized for mini-grid developers, BBA uses alternative financing, algorithmic software and an asset leasing approach to provide affordable advanced batteries to help scale the sector.
Vittoria Technology is seeking a highly motivated Electrical Engineer to help further develop and scale BBA, our Storage-as-a-Service business model for scalable, sustainable mini-grid battery banks in rural Africa. The successful candidate will work with Vittoria Technology team and partners to develop best practices for BESS product selection and procurement, on-site installation, and long-term remote O&M to ensure reliable, affordable energy for off-grid communities in Uganda, Rwanda, and South Africa for 2023/2024 and thereafter Sierra Leone, Kenya, Madagascar, etc. Your efforts will play a pivotal role in our mission to innovate scalable, affordable clean energy solutions improving lives and livelihoods in off-grid communities.
This is a mid-level role with innovation and leadership responsibilities within a small staff structure engaging wide partner networks across the continent. As such, this job provides significant professional growth potential and opportunity to help shape our enterprising start-up journey. The majority of our team is based in Cape Town – working remotely for most days, with 1 day in office every other week. The successful candidate must work independently and proactively to achieve performance goals and project objectives.
- Assist research and prioritization of suitable battery products and vendors for Vittoria Technology’s battery Storage-as-a-Service business model, including OEM engagement and local production facility visits.
- Support Vittoria Technology and project partners to research and field test innovative scalable, expandable hybrid battery banks on mini-grids in rural Africa – specifically considering system sizes between 30kWh to 500 kWh.
- Collect, analyze, and summarize battery performance data from field pilots – mastering 3rd party software platforms and API integration.
- Lead standardization and field trialing of battery installation protocols, remote commissioning, and verification procedures to OEM satisfaction.
- Produce technical reports, diagrams, preliminary designs, and integration plans for energy storage systems.
- Lead development and field trials of remote O&M protocols, including assessment of suitable software, controllers, and electromechanical strategies.
- Assist research on battery end-of-life services available in our client markets.
- Contribute technical expertise to project and investor reports.
- Share best practices and educate other team members on industry technology.
- Support development of Vittoria Technology’s long-term technology innovation roadmap.
- Authorized to work in South Africa. Must be based in Cape Town metro area.
- BSc Electrical Engineer (or equivalent). Master’s degree beneficial, but not required.
- Certification as a professional engineer with the Engineering Council of South Africa.
- 5-7 years of hands-on work experience engineering PV and BESS (Li-ion) systems –with battery banks ranging between 30kWh to 500 kWh.
- Technical proficiency in systems sizing and integration, advanced control and monitoring, battery energy storage technology, electrical balance of plant design, and cost evaluation
- Practical experience working with client’s technical staff to design, deploy, remotely monitor, troubleshoot, and repair battery banks.
- Experience working closely with battery and BMS manufacturers.
- Demonstrable understanding of energy storage architectures and underlying principles and technologies including thermal management, lifetime operation, cell degradation and control strategies.
- Proficient with system modelling software such as HOMER, PVSyst.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, comfortable leading meetings and outreach to relevant partners, suppliers, clients, etc.
- Driven self-starter with strong work ethic, organizational skills, and experience working in small teams and independently.
- Able to work under pressure while managing competing demands and tight deadlines.
- Some project management / leadership experience.
- A passion for problem-solving and creative thinking to overcome project-related and high-level strategic challenges.
- A passion for learning and self-improvement, with demonstrated career growth track record.
Salary commensurate with experience, ranging ZAR 550,000 to 650,000 annual. Generous remote work allocation, with 1 day in office every other week.
Please send a brief cover letter, 1-2 page CV, and list of 3 professional references to email@example.com with “Electrical Engineer” in the subject line.
Target Start Date
1 April 2023 – Applications with be reviewed on a rolling so applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible