PowerGen Renewable Energy is a micro-grid developer and Engineering, Procurement and Construction (EPC) company for Commercial and Industrial (C&I) solar projects in Africa. PowerGen is creating an African energy system that utilizes clean, renewable energy and smarter grids to deliver power to all.
We uniquely combine our mission – to build Africa’s future energy system, while improving lives through smarter power – with technical, on-the-ground expertise and an innovative business model. We build, own and operate AC micro-grids and C&I solar projects to bring power to residential, commercial and industrial customers. With over 120 employees, a 7,500 sq. ft. workshop and headquarters in Nairobi, offices in Tanzania, Nigeria and Sierra Leone, PowerGen is building a company that is set to have an impact on the energy sector in Africa for years to come.
The role of the Country Manager of our Sierra Leone Business Unit will lead all in-country business activities, including team management, business development, project development and management and external relationship management. As the in-country lead, this job requires a candidate who can work extremely independently and of their own initiative with minimal oversight and high integrity.
MAJOR ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Business Strategy & Management
- Lead all PowerGen’s operating and asset company activities and businesses within Sierra Leone.
- Develop business strategy for Sierra Leone in collaboration with the Executive Team.
- Build and lead the most efficient, motivated, and high-caliber team on the continent for implementing mini-grid and renewable energy technology.
- Instill company values and standards of excellence within all employees on the Sierra Leone team.
- Work with local partners to expedite the delivery of modern, affordable electricity to the mass market.
- Coordinate activities between the Sierra Leone Business Unit and other company Business Units including headquarters.
Project Development & Management
- Drive and manage the cultivation of projects that match the Company’s vision and roadmap.
- Lead negotiations between PowerGen and potential clients.
- Coordinate Project Execution teams to deliver projects on-time and under budget.
- Design and lead long-term personnel resource planning and recruiting in Sierra Leone.
- Coordinate and compile operational and quarterly reporting for our investors.
- Work closely with the commercial team to support tariff discussions with the SLEWRC
- Work closely with the Business Development Manager to identify new opportunities in the Sierra Leonean market
- Collaborate closely with government and funders to secure new opportunities for expansion of our power grids business
External Relationship Management & Regulatory Engagement
- Develop and manage relationships with key partners across the private and public sectors, academia, and governmental institutions.
- Develop and build government and regulatory body relationships with the Ministry of Energy, the Ministry of Health, SLEWRC, the EPA, The Standards Bureau, EDSA and others.
- Ensure that PowerGen always meets its regulatory obligations in Sierra Leone and coordinate with respective teams to ensure compliance with statutory reporting requirements.
- Represent PowerGen at national-level policy feedback and negotiation sessions.
- Represent PowerGen at industry events, and identify and cultivate important new partners.
- Contribute to PowerGen’s sector leadership through media engagement.
Financial Strategy & Raising Capital
- Manage all budgets, P&L statements, and corporate reporting for both PowerGen’s operating company and asset company in Sierra Leone.
- Support the Commercial Development Team in identifying and closing both project and corporate financing for all Sierra Leone-related work.
- Explore different financing entity structures, interfacing with lawyers, accountants and tax advisors to implement the most efficient structure for PowerGen Sierra Leone.
WHAT EXCITES YOU
- Pioneering a completely new asset class that will require billions in capital over the next decade.
- Building a business in the growth stage and scaling it across an entire country.
- Driving complex projects with significant operational hurdles that accelerate energy access in Sierra Leone.
- A fast-paced environment where individual decision-making is expected.
- Having autonomy to implement your creative solutions – not just coming up with ideas, but possessing the commitment and skill to implement them.
- Tackling big, thorny problems that will define the future of energy for a continent.
- Excellence – in your peers, in your work, and in our company’s commitment to our customers.
- Passion for organization, details, and precision in all you do.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- 7-10 years of experience managing large teams or large-scale projects
- Experience in the energy, clean tech or utility sectors, a plus
- Ability to maintain complex financial models and translate analysis into action
- In-depth understanding of the operational nuances of running a business in Sierra Leone
- Significant work experience in Sierra Leone or other West African markets
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- An entrepreneurial mindset or experience starting a company
- Strong proficiency in Excel, PowerPoint and other MS Office products
- Fluency in English required. Local language skills are a plus.
- Enthusiasm in working for the field of renewable energy!
BENEFITS AND COMPENSATION
A competitive package including annual compensation, performance bonuses, health insurance, professional development and team building events. And you’ll be working with a dynamic team of brilliant people passionate about electrifying Sierra Leone and Sub-Saharan Africa!
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate in employment regardless of race, sex, color, religion, national origin, tribe, gender or age.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates should apply with:
- A cover letter clearly justifying how they meet the selection criteria, and
- Recent Curriculum Vitae including names and full contact details of three referees, one of whom must be current or most recent employer. Candidates must state the position of each referee and his/her relationship to the candidate.
In addition to interviews with our team, selected candidates will be required to demonstrate their capabilities through a competency based assignment.
Also note that as all referees may be contacted, please ensure that contact details are up to date and that referees are aware that they may be contacted. Candidates must give full details of how they can be contacted as PowerGen will accept no responsibility if it is not able to contact a candidate for an interview.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.