New industry association launched: Global Off-Grid-Lighting Association (GOGLA)
Clean and affordable lighting is a basic need for economical and social growth. 1.6 billion people worldwide do not have access to clean and affordable energy. These people represent the bottom of the pyramid. Due to unhealthy and dangerous lighting alternatives, such as kerosene lanterns, they face fewer income-generating opportunities, significantly impaired health conditions, reduced social life and less education for children.
Since many years a lot of companies and organisations worldwide are working to alleviate poverty related to lack of sustainable electricity and light access. A lot of experiences have been made, a lot of different approaches have been tested, a lot of new and exciting products for off-grid lighting have been designed.
It is time now to concentrate all these efforts and work together to overcome still existing difficulties in off-grid lighting.
For this the new industrial Off-Grid-Lighting association GOGLA is established.
The seven main goals and duties of GOGLA are:
- Promote the advancement of clean modern off-grid lighting for the industry in its entirety, representing global interests and servicing local needs by acting as a uniform industry voice.
- Encourage, promote and preserve a high standard of professional integrity and ethics amongst those active in the field of off-grid lighting.
- Provide a forum for the exchange of information, best practices for technology, experiences and opinions in matters of common and particular interest to members.
- Support the implementation of an established harmonized international quality standard, including the management of an international quality seal, advocacy and promotion.
- Address environmental issues such as waste collection, recycling and emissions, tracking global trends and synergies.
- Working on reduction of policy and regulatory barriers that are perceived as impediments by industry to enable a greater and more open market.
- Encourage ongoing research and development in off-grid lighting and off-grid lighting standards and to facilitate dissemination of information on off-grid lighting matters.
GOGLA invites companies, organisations and private people who are interested and involved in Off-Grid-Lighting industry to join the association.
It's time to open up the off-grid market worldwide and to eliminate market barriers. For the benefit of all the people who still do not have access to clean, sustainable and affordable light.
President: Dr. Harald Schützeichel (SunTransfer)
CEO: Wolfgang Gregor
- Energy for Opportunity (Sierra Leone)
- Dlight Design (California)
- Greenlightplanet (India)
- Philips (Netherlands)
- SunTransfer (Germany)
- Total (France)